American persimmon (Diospyros virginiana)
Small 12 - 24 inches tall $25.00; Medium 2 to 3 feet tall $30.00;
Large trees 3 to 5 feet tall $40.00;
Extra Large trees available this year 5 to 6 feet tall $55.00
- Prok - Persimmon was a seedling From Cornell University breeding program grown out by John Gordon of Amherst NY. Produces very large fruit, ripens in August here in Kentucky, has few seed. It is my Favorite persimmon for cooking and eating out of hand. Ripens long before frost.
Field Grown and Container Grown. Sizes: S, M, L, XL
- 100-46 - Lehman's Delight - From the breeding work of Jerry Lehman of Terra Haute, Indiana, Lehman's Delight is one of his newest creations. Very large fruit, smooth flesh, clear pulp and made to be loved. While not a large tree it is one of the heaviest producing persimmons I have ever witnessed. Very good flavor and smooth flesh. This one is all about taste.
Field Grown and Container Grown. Sizes: S, M, L, XL available. Royalty of $3.00 goes to breeding of cultivars.
- Celebrity - Crystal clear fruit nearly seedless with the texture of Kaki persimmon. Rated very high for disease resistance and very high for the quality of fruit. Closest to a kaki as you can get with the cold hardiness of Virginiana. Selected from the Jerry Lehman's crosses of Dollywood D128 X F58 male. Both are progeny of Miller and Early Golden. This fruit was produced from the Lehman breeding program.
Field Grown. Only shipped late fall and early spring. Sizes: S, M trees available. Royalty of $3.00 goes to breeding of cultivars.
- Deer Candy - Upright growing tree, fruit is orange and large for an American persimmon, ripens well into late November. This tree does hold its fruit well and drops over a long period of time with some fruit remaining on the tree into December. Fruit is 2 inches average and is great as a result of the long production season. It is also great farther south where the growing season is extended. Deer will check this tree daily for dropped fruit.
Field Grown and Container Grown. Sizes: S, L, XL, XXL trees available
- Early Jewel = H118 - Very early, large sized fruit, redish colored fruit, soft when ripe, very high quality, fruit precocious and a consistent producer, bears seedless fruit in absence of a 90 chromosome male persimmon. Out of the late James Claypool Breeding Program.
Field Grown and Container Grown. Sizes available: S, M, L trees available
- Barbra's Blush = WS 8-10 - Along with Celebrity, these 2 trees would produce all the persimmons needed in a number of years. Healthy, very productive and has an even lateral limb structure that will support the large load of the very large 2.25 to 2.50-inch fruit.
Field Grown and Container Grown. Sizes: S, M, L, XL available; A Royalty of $3 goes to breeding new cultivars
- J-59 Claypool - Similar to H63A but with a deep orange colored fruit. Is a very upright grower that drops fruit early. It is excellent for puddings and pies but best known for its aromatic aroma and true persimmon taste. Fruit is medium sized and is dark orange to red in color.
Field Grown and Container Grown. Sizes: S, M, L, XL available
- Elmo (A-118) - From the Claypool breeding program, orange fruit with no black spots on the
skin, larger than a golf ball fruit and has an unsurpassed flavor.
Field Grown and Container Grown. Sizes: S, M, L, XL available
Other cultivars on hand, in few numbers, are Deer Magnet, Meader, Yates, Early Golden
Asian Persimmon Hybrid (Diospyros Virginiana X Kaki) -
These very fine persimmons have been tested and selected for many years. They have been selected over many others for their taste, size and cold hardiness.
- Kasandra - A Hybrid of Great Wall crossed by an F2 Male of Rosseyanka Hybrid back crossed to Virginiana. Tested cold hardy to - 16 degrees with no evidence of freeze damage. It is a large fruit measuring about 2.50 to 3.00 inches and is delicious when ripe. Hybridized by David Lavergne, has a Brix test of 21 and ripens mid-season. Luscious bright green foliage looks like a true Kaki.
Field Grown and Container Grown trees // Sizes: Small $30.00; Medium $40; Large $50.00, X-Large $60.00 (for pick up only) // Zone 5b and up
Sizes S, M, L, XL available
Click here to enlarge pictures.
Zima khurma =NB-02 - Persimmon bred out of Nikitskaya Bordovaya, cold hardy and good producer of orange medium to large size fruit that ripens mid-season on a semi-vigorous tree. Has low spreading growth habit and is a beautiful specimen in the fall. Trees are very cold hardy tested down to minus -16.4 F for a long time. This cultivar was bred in Japan and brought to America by Jerry Lehman of Terre Haute, Indiana.
Field Grown trees // Sizes SMALL $30.00, Medium $40.00, Large $50.00 Zone 5b and ZONE 8 / tested to -16 Degree F.
Sestronka=NB-21 - Very large persimmon looks like Kaki but very much a Hybrid. This persimmon is Nikitskaya Bordovaya crossed back to a Kaki. While it is not as hardy and does ripen late, it very much tastes like true American persimmon. It is an upright grower that is semi-vigorous. Ripens Late // Cold hardy to Zone 5 and up.
Container Grown trees // Sizes SMALL $30.00, MEDIUM $40.00 ZONE 6 thru 8 / Hardy to -5 Degrees F.
Mikkusu kaki Hybrid = JT-02 - A hybrid of Josephine V. X Taishu Kaki, a true 50/50 hybrid. Bred in Japan, imported by Jerry Lehman in 2006 and grown in several locations in the USA. Medium to large fruit, square-ish shape, is an astringent type till soft and then mouthwatering tasty, 2.5 to 3.0-inch fruit. It is a smallish tree, not vigorous at all, and is precocious, has spreading growth habits and must be staked to support fruit load. It is a very heavy producer, very cold hardy and has never had any freeze damage or cold injury.
Field Grown trees // sizes SMALL $35.00, Medium $45.00, Large $55.00 Zone 5b and ZONE 8 / tested to -16 Degree F. Quantities limited
Limited Quantities of Nikitskaya Bordovaya.
Rosseyanka Hybrids available, field grown
Asian Persimmon - Diospyros Kaki - These 2 very fine persimmons have been tested. Selected for many years over many others, primarily for their cold hardiness, they have been tested down to minus -16 for the last 2 years. Their taste, size and productivity are excellent.
- Korea Kaki - This tree was brought to Bulgaria by monks from the frontier area between China and Korea in the eighteenth century. This kaki seems to be very frost hardy and is late vegetating, produces a large fruit that is firm when ripe, is astringent, and can be ripened rapidly by use of alcohol. Tree tubes recommended. Field Grown and Contain Grown / Sizes: Small 18 to 24 inches tall $30.00; Medium 2 to 3 feet tall $40.00; Large 3 to 5 ft tall $50.00
- Cinebuli - NON-Astringent Asian Persimmon, which comes to us from Bulgaria. It is sweet crunchy when hard and a medium size fruit that ripens mid-season. It has had only minor freeze damage while we have grown this cultivar here for the past 8 years during one of the coldest winters we have ever experienced (the Polar express) with temps dipping in to the mid-teens. There was tip burn but this tree took it in stride and produced the next spring. It is a smallish growing tree with beautiful foliage. Field Grown trees // Sizes: Small $35.00, Medium $45.00, Large $55.00 Zone 6 and up 8 / tested to -16 Degree F. Quantities limited
Other cultivars of Asian persimmon in small quantities include Huk Kam the Black Kaki, IL Jae Mok Ja N/A, Jin Yong Tam Kam N/A (Korean Persimmons), and Picudo from Italy
Home Page |
Other Fruit Trees |